· Depression creeped up on me and it took me a while to realize what it was. Depression doesn’t always strike you in the most obvious or glaring manners so I figure posting a list of things to be aware of might help some people. The first symptom that I can remember having is pessimism. I’ve always been pessimistic, but when I started having insomnia and stopped being passionate about writing and photography, I knew something was wrong. Basically if you find yourself not feeling like yourself for a long time, maybe it’s time for therapy. I also think frustration and general lack of being in touch with yourself and feeling good about your decisions can be signs of depression. Below is a list of the major signs and symptoms of depression. If you have more than two, talk to your doctors about recommending a good therapist.
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating, or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.